Here is a list of some good questions to ask upon first meeting between IT professional and radio consultant:
· What kind of network is being used?
· Need access to public network?
· If so, how is the public network accessed?
· What is the available bandwidth?
· Who maintains the network?
· Who are the network administrators?
· Are there any special security measures in use?
· Is there a Firewall protecting the network?
· Are there any VPN or VLAN used in network?
Here are some additional factors to consider:
1) Ensure that there are no conflicting IP addresses. These can cause a break in communications. If the DHCP option is selected, the static IP address might as well be outside the range of the addresses which are available for device allocation by the DHCP server.
2) There should be a Quality of Service (QoS) designated in the router for the Ethernet network to assure you quality communication, provided that there are other networking devices acting as IP networking ones in IP Multi-site Connect network. In addition, it is necessary to enhance the communication priority and reserve adequate bandwidth.
3) Be sure that the UDP port is not being restricted by a firewall. If it is, the firewall can block the IP address or the UDP port in IP network.
4) Choose an ISP who can provide unlimited traffic services, because voice transmissions over internet can lead to heavy traffic. For an IP Multi-site Connect network containing 5/15 repeaters, an estimated 20/65 GB traffic is required per month. Generally, the required bandwidth is calculated on the basis of the amount of data transferred by one repeater in the IP Multi-site system. When two time slots in digital channel are utilized simultaneously, the data is about 50Kbps. To calculate the total bandwidth required by the system, simply use this equation: 50Kps x (# of repeaters -1).
For a radio dealer consulting an IT professional at a customer site, it is important to emphasize that a radio network offers superior coverage, reliability, security, robustness, and overall cost of ownership. For some additional references available on the Hytera America website, please see our comparison to a cellular solution or our ROI Calculator.